Call for Abstracts
The West African College of Physicians invites Fellows, Members, Clinicians and Researchers to submit abstracts for presentation at its 44th Annual General & Scientific Meeting holding in Banjul, The Gambia. The meeting will feature a wide range of exciting talks and discussions on the theme Universal Health Coverage: A Right for Everyone, Everywhere. Sub-themes include Destigmatising Mental Health in the Subregion and The Role of Vaccines in Universal Health.
This is a great opportunity to share your work with colleagues. We welcome abstracts of original research work, reviews and case series or reports.
The track category is the heading under which your abstract will be reviewed and later published in the conference printed matters if accepted. During the submission process, you will be asked to select one track category for your abstract.
Submit your abstracts to any of the mentioned tracks.
- Track 1: Universal Health Care
- Evidence to Policy: Financing Healthcare for Universal Health Coverage
- Community-based health insurance
- Public health education
- Data for management and policy making
- Access to health services
- Human resources for health
- Digital health (including mobile health mHealth; Health information technology, wearable devices, telehealth, telemedicine)
- Track 2: Age-related healthcare
- Maternal, newborn and child health
- Adolescent health
- Elderly and end of life care
- Track 3: Vaccines
- Vaccine acceptance and hesitancy
- Pre-clinical and laboratory/immunology studies
- Clinical trials, impact studies and vaccine epidemiology
- Vaccines for emerging infections
- Vaccine delivery
- Track 4: Mental health
- Mental health among healthcare workers
- Child and adolescent mental health
- Maternal mental health in pregnancy and following childbirth
- Recovery and rehabilitation
- Track 5: Epidemic and Pandemic health care
- Covid-19/Ebola/Lassa fever/Meningitis and emerging infections
- Healthcare system preparedness and response
- Triage and critical care
- Community engagement in epidemic/pandemic situations
- Contextualizing epidemic/pandemic response
- Track 6: Others
- Antimicrobial resistance
All accepted abstracts will be published in the West African Journal of Medicine.
Guidelines for Submission
Please follow the guidelines below to submit your abstract.
Please submit all abstracts via the Microsoft Conference Management Toolkit (CMT) system accessible using the button at the bottom of this webpage. Note that abstracts submitted via e-mail will not be accepted.
All abstracts must be submitted by 31 July 2020. Abstracts may be submitted in English or French. Each abstract should not exceed 300 words, excluding the title and author names and affiliations.
Please provide relevant information as follows:
- Abstract title (Upper case)
- Authors (e.g. N.C Njie). Separate each name with a comma
- The presenting author’s name and ontact details including e-mail address
- Author affiliation details (Department, institution/hospital, and city): For each author listed, provide these in the "Organization" field under the "AUTHORS" section
Use the following structure for your abstract
(For case reports/series use the format - Introduction, short case and conclusion)
A small number of accepted abstracts will be selected for oral presentation in the program. You may choose your preferred presentation format i.e. oral or poster. Note however that the meeting organisers will decide on the final format based on the quality of the abstract, content, programme theme and available space.
- Oral presentation (10 minutes including Questions & Answers)
- Poster presentation. Presenters will be requested to bring a printed poster. (Poster specifications will be communicated to the presenters).
All abstracts will be reviewed by the Scientific Committee. Presenting authors will be notified of the outcome of their submission by early September.
We cannot provide bursaries for attending the conference.
Five Short Steps to Submitting Your Abstract
- Step 1: Click the "Submit Abstract" button at the bottom of this section.
- Step 2: Create an Microsoft Conference Management Toolkit account by clicking the "Register" link below the login form that is displayed. An "Account Verification" e-mail with a verification link will then be sent to your email. Just click on the link to activate your account. You can re-use a previous CMT account if you have one.
- Step 3: Once you are logged in, "44th Annual General and Scientific Meeting of the West African College of Physicians" should appear under "My Conferences". If it does not, click on "All Conferences" and search for it. Click on the conference name.
- Step 4: Click on "+Create New Submission" button at the upper-left corner of the page.
- Step 5: Following the instructions on the page to fill in the form, and then click submit. To add a co-author, you should first enter their email address. If their email is not found in the CMT system, you will be required to provide the minimum required information for your co-author(first name, last name, organization, and country). You can email confirmation of your submission to yourself or others using the "Send E-mail" option.